Like me :)
Well, on the whole, this recovery has been much better than the first two. Perhaps it is because I knew what to expect. Maybe it is because I am not recovering from labor as well as major abdominal surgery... Whatever the reason, thank heavens for small miracles!
I can happily announce that I am walking at a snails pace instead of slower now. Amazing how having an incision so low makes for controlling the lower half of my body more difficult. Not difficult, per se, but painful-ish. This makes some normal things interesting. Things such as stepping into the shower, lifting my feet for washing or putting shoes or pants on, and walking. Thankfully, we are at 10 days post surgery and most definitely improved. I feel like I can safely take a shower... my feet may not be the cleanest, but at least I can do it by myself (until this point, Hubby {bless his husbandly soul} has been helping me). And, I put on my shoes all by myself :)
Also, the bruises are fading from the IVs. Lets just say that me and IVs don't get along. The bruise on the left they didn't even get in. The one on the right lasted less than 12 hours. They put it in at 1 am (when I was admitted) and had to take it out before the surgery the next morning at 9... It was red, hot and painful. They got one to last for 24 hours in my hand though. And the bruise at the top near the elbow pit on the right is from where they drew blood before I left.
Another interesting by-product of the surgery was having to have a catheter for a week. As far as I understand (which I admit my understanding is limited) is at some point (possibly traced back to my first c-section) my bladder had attached itself to my uterus. I remember after Kaitlyn they were a little worried about my bladder, but nothing really came of it. This time, they had to cut through a small portion of my bladder to get to my uterus because it had attached itself so high they couldn't just push it down. So, after Dylan was out, they removed it from my uterus, pushed it down to where it was supposed to be, and repaired the incision. I got to keep the catheter and bag for a week to make sure my bladder didn't stretch too far and heal properly. As another interesting by-product, I now have a bladder infection. Joy of Joys...
And, I am just gonna come out and say it... Having the stomach flu (and not the upper kind, the lower kind) while in the last month of pregnancy is the pits. But, the by-products of said stomach flu is another thing: Hemorrhoids (which I have thankfully never had before, and did not get until the week before I delivered). Yes, I said it out loud and admitted to getting them. Apparently pregnant women are susceptible to them anyways, but being sick is not helpful. And then, still being sick on top of having them was one of the most painful things (next to labor) I have ever done. Luckily, now that Dylan is out, things are healing nicely there too.
And the insomnia? Virtually gone! I can fall asleep most nights and early mornings again without much trouble.
And Dylan is the bestest third child in the world! He is so mellow. He sleeps most of the night in his cradle. And he gives me a stretch of 6 hours at night. He only eats every 3-4 hours. And the engorgement and nipple soreness lasted a blessedly short amount of time.
So, all in all, it has been a successful delivery :) Besides having a wonderful child, I also have a relatively decent recovery. And, although I hate to admit it, the whole scheduled thing was quite wonderfully convenient...
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
How lovely to be a women....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 cool people read this:
Bless you, sweetie. These are the parts of having a baby that most of us forget, I suspect by choice. It's just not fun to remember the hemorrhoids and the cracked nipples, etc. And I never had a C-section, so I'm glad your incision is healing. That bladder thing they did—I think it's good it was a twofer. If they put it where it's supposed to be, that's a repair lots of women have to have years after childbirth to help with *coughcough* not leaking. And you didn't have to pay extra or get opened up extra! Hurrah.
Bless your heart for it all!! Holy cow!! I am sorry you had to go through all of that before during and after!! I am happy to hear you are healing well though and it is sonice of your hubby to help out. I am sure after 3 kids he knows he needs to help you just a little bit atleast but still for him being so willing to help is awesome. Those bruises on your arms those look horrible. I don't do well with them either!! I have had a few times where navy nurses have actually fished in my arm to try and find a vain instead of taking it out and trying again. I can say my whole arm was completely one huge bruise. So I feel ya there!! Well start feeling better soon:)
All I can say is Yea! Bring on the sleep! lol! Nothing like being able to sleep, and feeling like you slept! I remember those days right after have kids. And the hemrorrhoid thing, I'm righ there with ya. I had that problem after my third child. But I never knew your bladder could attach itself to your uterus, but I learn something new everyday. It's amazing what having kids does to your body! It's great to hear things are going good for you! Let me know if you need anything!
The joys of motherhood. It's amazing what we go through to have a baby, huh? I'm so glad Dylan is doing well and your recovery isn't too awful this time around. He sure is a cutie!
Yup- NO dignity! NO shame either though! You da woman! Men just couldn't do this. At least not multiple times like you have. I'm also glad you're sleeping better. Third children are the BEST! :)
Post a Comment