With the drywall finished, it was on to some other things. Such as priming and painting. We picked a purple color based on the bedding the girls got for Christmas, oh, 9 months ago.
I am much too lazy to tape things off, especially since I usually have to go back and touch up anyway. So, I follow the advice of a professional painter I heard waaaaaaaaaaaay back when I watched Trading Spaces. He said to get a good angled brush and just cut in around the edges. "Take your time and be careful." I honestly don't know if the time it takes for me to cut in is equal to the time it takes to tape and then paint, but I prefer to think so and I prefer this method, so...
Last Thursday, I was finally able to roll 2 coats of "Magic Purple Moon" on the wall. Such a pretty color! It managed to simultaneously warm up the stark white walls, while cooling it down.
Problem is, while it doesn't translate as well over the picture, the purple that looked awesome on the swatch, is too yellow for the grey/dirty looking purple in the bedding. The color is pretty, it just doesn't match :( I used to think those testers for $3 each were insanely expensive and silly. Having gone through several gallons of paint in different rooms, looking for the right one, I can now see how buying even eight $3 testers may make more sense sometimes. So, hubby offered to help me repaint (something he doesn't normally do... painting is my department). Back to the drawing board :p
On a good note, the bathroom is doing well. We found a shower curtain that has both green and purple in it (that doesn't look either too childish or too fuddy duddy. Believe me, it was harder than it sounds!) But it was one of those cloth decorative ones. And, since our shower curtain rod is one of those curved ones, the cloth one would hang out over into the toilet space. So, we put it over to the side, and will tie it back (once I find a good color ribbon) to the side. Decoration. You know.
Still moving forward. One coat of purple paint at a time :p
3 cool people read this:
I use the cutting in, no taping method too. I bought a paint brush especially for the method with a tiny little handle that fits in my palm, it's amazing how much better it works with the right tool. Hey we have a curved shower curtain too!
I started buying samples as well, and they've saved me from some pretty wild colors. It's so sad that that pretty purple doesn't match!
That IS such a pretty purple. And from the pictures, I think it matched. But it probably looked quite different in person. Keep up the good work! Your guests in October thank you! :)
Post a Comment